Monday, October 19, 2009

What a difference...

A three-day weekend makes in the morale of a first year teacher. Maybe it was the fact that a colleague approached me because they were concerned that I may be burning myself out, but I've really felt like I've got a different take on things now.
I am so thankful that someone saw what I was doing to myself and decided to speak up. All I've heard since I started was good things, but the best thing so far has been the criticism of working too much. And they're right. I was burning myself out. I didn't look forward to going home, or to the weekend (except that it offered the "escape" from being at school... but that didn't mean that I stopped thinking about school). So I relaxed this weekend. I did nothing school related. And I feel wonderful.
I really feel like I'm starting to have fun again in class. I'm starting to enjoy the students. I have patients. I have creative ideas. I want to make progress again, not just survive. But the best thing of all is that I've realized that I owe it to myself not to burn out. I love my job. I can't love it to death because then I stop enjoying, evolving, inventing and creating.
Yep. Today was a good day. More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment