Friday, August 7, 2009

Prepping and Planning

This week I've been spending most of my day planning and prepping for the year to come. Yesterday I finished updating my policies and procedures along with my syllabus and other administrivia. I'm confident about those pieces now.
It seems like those are the most important pieces, so I'm glad I'm comfortable with them. They are the foundation of how the year is going to go, and last year went well during my long-term sub position with them so I'm excited about the changes I've made.
I've also spent some time planning the review/introductory units for my classes. I started planning my Spanish III class only to realize after a week and a half, that I only meet with them MWF. Duh! It's going to be a great challenge to maximize our time together and to get my students to the next level. Spanish I will be a bit more traditional with meeting everyday M-F.
Next week is the big kick-off. I start Tuesday and hit the ground running! We meet everyday all day, until the students arrive on the 18th. I'm glad it'll give me some time to get to know the people, the school and to get settled in.
I sent an email to a professor a couple days ago thanking him for the practicality and enthusiasm that his methods course offered me. I really feel great about this year. I was glad to hear in his response that he was getting tense about bringing a new set of study abroad students to Spain today. It was comforting to know that everyone goes through the nerves of a new situation. I'm excited to keep in contact with him throughout the year to help his students understand what it's like to be a first year teacher.
Well I thought I'd cronicle my first year, and if I intend to make it through I better get down to work again.
Next week at this time I'll be a Warrior! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment