Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Apology accepted.

Yesterday during class, I had a young man who couldn't stop chatting.  He has been a little chatty since the beginning of the year, and I reminded him to "págame" (just a cue word to help him realize he's off task and loosing participation points) yesterday.  He immediately stopped talking and resumed focus.  It was great to watch that this simple gesture works so well.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I think my classroom management issues from last year have declined.  This is due to the fact that I know my students better and they know I care and center the class around them.  I'm still all warm and fuzzy when I realize this has happened because it reminds me that I really am a teacher because of the students.  They make my job enjoyable and worthwhile.
The most "warm and fuzzy" moment of this story came after class that day.  The chatty student came up to me and apologized all in the TL!  It was an almost flawless apology, and then we had a short chat in Spanish about talking in class and whether he needed to switch seats.  ¡Qué fantástico!
Needless to say, I was both proud, amazed, and impressed by the confidence, responsibility and ability of this first year student in the 3rd week of class.
What have your students done lately to remind you that they're the reason we teach?

No comments:

Post a Comment