Wednesday, September 1, 2010

And so it begins... graduate school.

Welp.  Tomorrow is the big day.  I'm a mix of emotions and thoughts.  Leading up to this day, I've been very excited and anxious.  But tonight, I'm frustrated.  I'm frustrated as a student, and it doesn't feel good.  I understand how my students feel sometimes, despite my every effort to not frustrate them. 
I am frustrated right now by the lack of clarity in my professor's email and attachments.  I am frustrated by his response to my inquiries due to my lack of understanding.  I have decided it's best to "not worry about not having the assignments done for tomorrow night" as he told me to do.  It's hard, however, when you want to do your best and you're ready to start and you want to succeed, to "not worry" that you aren't able to accomplish.  It's like I should have a bottle somewhere, where I put all this time and energy that I have to expend toward my studies right now in order to save them for another time that may not be as convenient... because I surely do NOT want to spend my long weekend playing catch up for this class.
This experience has made me realize how some of my students must feel when I lack clarity.  It also helps me understand that sometimes, we cannot put into words concisely enough to produce the outcome we've developed in our heads.  I am going to make every effort in order to avoid frustrating a student, or telling them "not to worry" when that is what they're going to do any way.  Quite possibly, they're worrying because this is the only time they have available to complete this task, and although it isn't the most convenient for us... it is for them, and I need to respect that.
When is the last time you've realized what it feels like to be a student?  How has this helped your teaching?

No comments:

Post a Comment