Thursday, March 3, 2011

Extra Credit

I've long been opposed to giving extra credit.  I've seen it as a frivolous padding to a grade.  In most cases, the students who already are excelling in a class are the only ones who take advantage of the opportunity.  So why give it? 
Well... my view of extra credit has been challenged recently.  In a mentor-mentee meeting earlier this semester (yes, I've been busy, so I'm just getting around to writing about this now), Tony Winger challenged my idea by sharing his view on extra credit.  He said that, to him, extra credit should be another chance for students to learn what is essential.  WOW.  Isn't that something.  Once he said that I can't figure out where I got the idea that extra credit is some waste of time, extra, worthless handout.  The fact is: extra credit should be another chance to learn what is essential or to expand upon it for the proficient students.
This doesn't mean that I am offering it this semester, but it is possible in the future...

No comments:

Post a Comment